Sambar is the most famous dish in South India, recently the delicacy is spreading all over India. Sambar can be mixed with rice for lunch and dinner.
Ingredient for making Sambar
- 2 cup(Tuvar) Dal
- 1/4 kg Vegetables( Drumstick (2), Onion (1), Eggplant (2),Ladies Finger (4), Tomato (4))
- 1 tsp Sambhar powder
- Curry leaves
- A pinch Hing
- 1 tsp Salt
- Coriander leaves
- ½ tsp: Turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 5no. Shallots
- 3no. garlic
- 1tbs red chilly powder
- 2tbs coriander powder
- 1/2tsp turmeric powder
- Seasoning ingredients
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Red chillies
How to make Sambar:
- Clean the vegetables and slice into long pieces.
- Boil water and cook the dal with turmeric powder.
- after boiling dal,put vegetables with salt into it..
- Mash the tamarind in 1 cup water and strain.Add this tamarind water into the vegetables.
- heat oil in a pan.add coconut, garlic, Shallots, and 2 or 3 curry leaves.cook till it become brown colour.after reducing the flame, add chilly powder, coriander powder and hing powder into it and grind it to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- add this paste into the vegetables.wait for 15 minutes to cook
- After 15 minutes add 1tsp sambar powder and cook for 2 minutes.
Seasoning for Sambar
- Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, then add fenugreek seeds, red chillies, curry leaves.
- Season the sambhar with the above prepared tadka.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves on top.